Sunday, June 19, 2011

Austria

It's funny how much I just want what I can't or don't have. In everything. And it's so frustrating! Honestly. Why would I do that to myself? Inflict pain. Cause heartache. Put clouds over my eyes. Cause excessive eating. Headaches from thinking and wishing too hard. All in all, it's a bad idea.
However, just last night, I found an amazing solution to this problem.

Pretend you're in Austria.

I know you probably think i'm absolutely insane and officially lost it. Maybe I have, but please bear with me. It's at least a beautiful thought, if nothing else.
The last few days I seem to have been watching numerous movies that travel to the wonderous countryside of Italy. Letters To Juliet. Beneath the Tuscan Sun. And all my wife (as she said in her blog, she's not really my wife, but if you know her, she basically is) & I have wanted to do while sitting late at night in bed is travel far & wide away from this freezing cold land called Ballarat. Basically, though, we can't. Monetary issues pose a problem. Plans. Uni. We just can't.
We discovered a great substitute though. We pretended that we were in Austria. We are renting a holiday house. We don't know anyone in this new exciting town. Although it's cold, it's a good cold because it's a new country. We've left all our problems behind at home. We're not here with men, we're here with each other. It's not romantic, but wonderfully fun.
And the amazing thing was, once my mindset was there up in the Austrian Alps, I no longer needed to go to romantic Italian wineries with a beautiful European man. I was set here in Austria with my best friend baking cakes that looked like the Leaning Tower of Pisa.

The truth of it being, I didn't need to go to the other side of the world to be happy. I would still love to go to Italy tommorow if I could. But for the time being, I am so happy sitting in my warm room listening to James Taylor when I know full well that it is windy & cold outside. My beautiful wife is just down the hallway. There is minestrone soup to eat tommorow. There are a million adventures that I could take, all I have to do is choose.

The moral of this story...bring a litte Austria into your life (cliched I know. I'm sorry)

Till we meet again...

No comments:

Post a Comment